Thursday, January 6, 2011

So I leave for Uganda tomorrow. I haven't posted much as what
I've been up to is only interesting to me, walking around,
seeing people, doing math.

I ran into a few of my algebra students from two years ago:



It was fun seeing them again!

So how do you get around town? Well, there are minibuses
and moto-taxis. The minibuses are the size of a small van.
They have a driver and conductor then they squeeze in 17
passengers. There are (an increasing number of) bigger
buses too, but none the size of what we have at home.






You can hail a moto-taxi almost anywhere and go anywhere
in town, up to 4 miles away for less than $3. The minibus
is about 30 cents, but obviously takes a lot longer. Also,
if it empties out too much at a stop, they may wait til it
fills up some before going on. Two years ago I did not see a
single woman as either minibus driver, conductor, moto-taxi
driver or cab driver. In the last two weeks I have seen at
least one of each.

A correction to two years ago: I said Gandhi worked in Uganda.
It was South Africa. I have no idea why they built a bust of
him in Uganda and scattered some of his ashes in the Nile there.

1 comment:

  1. GLAD TO SEE WOMEN (WHO ARE SUPER BEINGS) IN FIELDS WHERE MEN HAVE TROD BEFORE!!!

    HAVE FUN IN UGANDA!

    ReplyDelete